Student Life Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to be eligible to participate in athletics?
National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) mandates that all of our student-athletes be enrolled full time (12 credit hours or more) in all semesters of participation in athletics and that a 2.0 grade point average is maintained. There are various situations with multiple semesters and transfer students that the Director of Student Life and Athletics need to figure eligibility based on past academic performance.
What intramurals do you offer, when do they start and where do I go for information?
Intramurals are offered each semester with sand volleyball, basketball, dodgeball, flag football, kickball, soccer and softball. More information can be obtained from the Student Government Association (SGA) office and the Student Life and Athletic Office in the Student Activity Center.
Do you offer athletic scholarships?
Athletic scholarships are offered for each of our intercollegiate sports and are based on athletic talent evaluated and decided by our coaching staff. Athletic scholarships can cover a maximum of tuition, fees and books as mandated by NJCAA policy for division II institutions. Athletic scholarships can be offered in quarter, half and full tuition amounts and are good for one academic year at a time. Scholarships can be revoked if the student-athlete does not meet academic requirements or team requirements.
Are student-athlete's covered by athletic insurance?
The college has athletic accidental only insurance that provides secondary policy insurance for those having primary insurance coverage and is primary coverage for those not having dependent coverage. This policy does not have a deductible and proper documentation is required for claims. An $125.00 insurance premium is assessed to each student-athlete payable to the business office by October of each year.
What are the hours of the Student Activity Center?
The fitness room located inside the Student Activity Center is open to current students and John Wood faculty/staff. The hours vary depending on the semester and are posted in the fitness room. The current hours are Monday-Thursday 6:30am-7pm, Friday 6:30am-5pm, closed on weekends.
How do I get involved in the Student Government Association?
Stop by the Student Life Office and speak to the Coordinator of Student Life or any executive officer for more information about getting involved and the meeting dates of SGA.
What clubs/organizations are available?

There are a variety of clubs and organizations in which students can join to promote similar interests and skill development, as well as develop life-long friendships. Feel free to check out any of our clubs, or stop by the Student Life Office to start your new club at John Wood Community College! 

The current clubs are Agriculture Club, Campus Crusade for Christ (CRU), Cheerleading, Cultural Diversity Club, John Wood Crafters, John Wood Society of Anime & Gaming (JSAG),  Livestock Judging, Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), National Association for Music Educators (NAfME), Pep Band, Phi Theta Kappa, (PTK), Psychology Club, Publications Club, Student Nursing Organization (SNO), and Students Supporting Veterans. Please visit the individual club/organization's page for more information.

How do I express an interest to participate in intercollegiate athletics?
Our coaching staff for each of our respective sport programs oversees the recruitment and retention of our student-athletes. If you have an interest in becoming a Trail Blazer, please contact the coaching staff and provide any contact information, academic information, and athletic information that is available. See our staff directory for contact information.
Where do students live?
John Wood Community College does not have on campus housing for students. Students that attend John Wood Community College are housed throughout the city of Quincy in a variety of locations. If you need to locate housing in the Quincy-area, see our listing of potential apartment complexes and area contacts. In addition, visit the Quincy Herald Whig for additional listings of potential housing opportunities.