Student Services FAQs

I am having trouble with a class, who do I talk to?
First talk with your instructor, and then the Director or Department Chair of that program area should be consulted. If there continues to be a problem or concern; appointments may be made with either the Dean of Transfer Education or the Dean of CTWE programs. The Dean of Students is always available to listen to concerns and help direct students to the appropriate office/area.
Where do I access scholarship information?
There are a couple of places on campus to get this information. The Advancement Office, D107, publishes an application in booklet form for all on-campus scholarships. There is also a bulletin board in the hallway by Enrollment Services and the Business Office that will have flyers from outside organizations offering scholarships to JWCC students. When signing up for classes, visit with your advisor about any information they have on scholarships.
I received a letter saying I'm academically suspended. What do I do?
You will need to contact the Office of the Dean of Students (Student Services) and make an appointment with the Student Issues Committee. The committee will meet with you and decide to re-admit you or to uphold the suspension. This committee only meets a few times each year, so be sure to call as soon as you get the letter. If you have not been attending JWCC for more than a semester because of the suspension, you will need to make an appointment with the Vice President for Student Services. The suspension will then either be lifted or upheld. For either of these scenarios, please call Student Services at 217.641.4301.
I should be on the Dean's and I'm not, why?
The Dean's list is published after spring, summer and fall semesters. Depending upon your meeting minimum enrollment (full or part-time) requirements and your GPA (CGPA for part-time students) your name will be submitted to local newspapers for inclusion in a news release as being on the JWCC Dean's List. If you have questions about this, please call the Student Services Office at 217.641.4301.
Can I apply for a job here at school?
Yes, start with the Human Resources Office in the Administration Building, C227. They can advise you on the process and what openings are available.
What else can my student ID be used for?
The ID card allows students to access JWCC athletic events and student activities and also serves as a library card. There is no charge for obtaining an ID card, but there is a $10 replacement fee.
I'm on academic probation. What do I do?
Make an appointment to visit with your instructors as soon as your next semester of classes starts again. Talk with them about their class and make sure you know what you need to do to be successful in that class. Also, make sure you utilize all of the tools the College provides to help you do the best you can in your classes. Those tools would include visiting with tutors, the writing labs, and making an appointment with the Supervisor of Student Support Services at 217.641.4302.
What's the difference between academic and financial aid suspensions?
A student is placed on academic suspension if they fall below the minimum requirements set by JWCC. This happens after a semester of being placed on academic probation and not achieving a high enough grade average the next semester. A student is placed on financial aid suspension when they fail to meet one or both of the following requirements for two semesters. The quantitative measure requirement deals with successfully completing 67% of attempted coursework. The qualitative measure deals with falling below the minimum cumulative grade point average as determined by the number of hours of coursework that have been attempted. If minimum standards of satisfactory progress are not met by the end of the probationary term, the student will be placed on financial aid suspension and no further federal or state student assistance will be available.
What do I do to graduate?
To begin the graduation process, students will need to complete the Evaluation for Graduation form. This form is available online or you can complete the form by stopping in the Enrollment Services area or asking your advisor for one.
When is the graduation ceremony?
The JWCC annual graduation ceremony is held in May of each year. It usually falls on the Friday of finals week. The ceremony takes place in the Student Activity Center.
Do I keep my cap and gown?
Yes, the graduation fee covers the cost of the cap and gowns. They are yours to keep after the ceremony.
What is the charge for graduation?
The fee is $35.
Is there someone I can talk to about my personal problems?
Yes, please stop in Dean of Students Office (Student Services)- C114. We will get you to someone on campus or find someone in the community that will be of assistance.